International Audience Engagement (IAE) Network
CHAMPIONS THE EMOTIONAL
AND SOCIAL RELATIONSHIP
AND MUSEUMS TO
SUSTAIN THEIR FUTURE.
– Value statement,
written by the IAE Melbourne Group
ABOUT THE NETWORK
The International Audience Engagement network was established in 2017 as an initiative of an international steering group comprising audience engagement leaders based in museums worldwide. The network was formed as a direct response to one of the biggest priorities facing museums and cultural institutions today – nurturing authentic, cohesive engagement with diverse audiences across many interactions with the museum in the twenty-first century.
Our mission is to create a global network of art museum leaders in audience engagement committed to advancing the public value of museums through supporting an authentic internal and external focus on the audience experience.
The IAE is led by a steering group of audience engagement leaders:
• Jean-François Bilodeau Deputy Director, Advancement and Public Engagement, National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa
• Chris Lee Chief Marketing Officer, National Gallery Singapore
• Donna McColm Associate Director, Audience Engagement and Learning, National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
• Kristin Prestegaard Chief Engagement Officer, Minneapolis Institute of Art, USA
• Audrey Stoltz Assistant Director of Visitor Engagement, and Sonya Shrier, Director of Visitor Engagement, Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), New York, USA
• Adam Reed Rozan Director of Programs and Audience Development, Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History, Washington D.C.; Adjunct Professor, Harvard University Extension School, Cambridge, USA
IAE priorities include:
• Communications and service standards
• Collaborative, cross-industry strategies for planning audience engagement
• Inclusion in museums
• Leadership, advocacy and public value
• Measurement and evaluation
NETWORK MEETINGS & CONFERENCES
Over 15–16 March 2018, the National Gallery of Victoria (NGV) in Melbourne, Australia, hosted the inaugural International Audience Engagement (IAE) network meeting, collaborating with 29 senior audience engagement professionals from museums across the world in a two-day intensive workshop. Outcomes of the Melbourne Group meeting included a universal value statement for audience engagement internationally, a set of guidelines, short and long-term recommendations and success measures.
Please see report below for outcomes of the 2018 meeting and a toolkit for audience engagement professionals.
The IAE network will soon announce the next host city and venue for an IAE conference in 2019.
For more information, please email: IAEN@ngv.vic.gov.au