Discover the power of art for supporting core skills in Reading and Viewing, Writing and Speaking and Listening. This full day program is jam-packed with art-inspired practical activities designed to transfer easily to your English classroom. Experiment with language features, imaginative concepts for creative writing and develop ideas for investigating the Capabilities.
Tailored for secondary school English teachers, this program has been developed by NGV Learn in conjunction with VATE. Featuring educator led gallery sessions, and a creative writing workshop with acclaimed author Cate Kennedy.
- Unpack the close relationship between visual text and literature
- Analyse, interpret and discuss NGV artworks from different cultural, historical and contemporary contexts
- Develop practical activities for applying close reading and interpretation of artworks to the teaching of creative writing, literary devices and the Capabilities.
- Define the term ‘ekphrasis’ and its application to creative writing teaching practices.
- Connect with local author Cate Kennedy and explore her creative writing practices and techniques.
Creative Writing Workshop Speaker: Cate Kennedy
Cate Kennedy is an award-winning novelist, short-story writer and poet. Her novel, The World Beneath, won the People’s Choice Award in the NSW Premier’s Literary Awards in 2010. Dark Roots, her debut short-story collection, was shortlisted for the Steele Rudd Award in the Queensland Premier’s Literary Awards and for the Australian Literature Society Gold Medal. Based on a secluded bend of the Broken River in north-east Victoria, Kennedy is also a short fiction teacher, mentor, editor and judge.
$256 Concession VATE Member*
$284 Individual VATE Member
$316 Organisational VATE Member
* The Concession rate is available to VATE Individual Concession members (VATE Alumni, part-time or CRT).